The transformation of a former school supply five and dime (ca. 1914) responds to the building’s past as an alley. Interior forms and structure are arranged to frame views of the courthouse to the front and provide glimpses “passing thru” to a new courtyard in the back. A new walnut wood stripe inserted in the original heart pine flooring leads the eye from the front door thru the entire space concluding at a fountain in the new hidden courtyard. The century-old masonry is restored, but not touched by the new. Pine roof joists, still bearing the circular saw marks from milling, are left exposed revealing their dark bronze patina. A new steel stairway is inserted within the old roof structure leading to a light-filled second-floor conference room and open studio as well as a rooftop veranda overlooking the historic square.
Have a library design need?
We’d love to see how we can help.